STYX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
STYX

This is a forum for Styx members

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mary I and Elizabeth I

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lynk2510

Mary I and Elizabeth I Empty
PostSubject: Mary I and Elizabeth I    Mary I and Elizabeth I Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Although Mary I and Elizabeth I differed religiously, both performed elaborate Maundy ceremonies. Records from 1556 show that Mary washed the feet of forty-one poor women (reflecting her age) while "ever on her knees", and gave them forty-one pence each, as well as gifts of bread, fish, and clothing, donating her own gown to the woman said to be poorest of all.[16] In 1572 disliking the scenes as each woman tried to secure a piece of the royal gown, Queen Elizabeth granted a sum of £1 to each recipient in lieu of the gown, giving it in a red purse.[17] Contemporary writer William Lambarde noted that the money was substituted for the gown "to avoid trouble of suite, which accustomabile was made for that perferment".[18] In years in which plague was rife, the monarch did not attend, sending an official, usually the Lord High Almoner to make the distributions and perform the pedilavium. Even though scented water was used to disguise any unpleasant odours from the poor, the feet were washed three times before the monarch performed the pedilavium, once by a menial and twice by Court officials. In later years, sweet-smelling nosegays were used to disguise odours—the nosegays are still carried today.[19
armenian wedding djs
dental discount card
Back to top Go down

Mary I and Elizabeth I
Page 1 of 1